HorsePower, The Museum of The King’s Royal Hussars
Volunteer Role Profile
Role Title: Collections Assistant
HorsePower, The Museum of The King’s Royal Hussars tells the exciting story of this modern armoured regiment since its forebears were raised in 1715. The museum is fully accredited by Arts Council England and is one of six military museums within the historic Peninsula Barracks setting of Winchester. As part of our ongoing collections management, we are working on the documentation, cataloguing and development of our museum reserve collection in order to maintain it to the highest standard. We are looking for a dynamic self starter who is keen to build practical experience in the cataloguing and documenting of collections, and to help organise the collections for the future. This requires all items within the collection to be recorded and updated as required on the MODES Complete system. This role would suit someone aspiring to work in museums but needing more collections management experience.
• Confident in the use of a computer.
• Self-motivated and able to work unsupervised.
• Enthusiastic about museums and collections.
• Able to take direction from the Museum staff.
• A sharp eye and attention to detail.
• A quick and accurate worker.
• Flexible approach.
• Ability to carry and lift collections storage boxes with training.
The number of hours is fully negotiable and this role can be undertaken anytime during the working week (Mon–Fri, 9am–4pm).
The role is based in Peninsula Square (former barracks), Romsey Road, Winchester, SO23 8TS.
The skills you will gain
• Experience of working within a museum environment.
• Good understanding of MODES Complete.
• Knowledge of documenting and cataloguing in museums.
• Knowledge of military history and working with an established museum and collection.
• Understanding of working to museum best practise standards.
HorsePower, The Museum of The King’s Royal Hussars Statement of Purpose To safeguard the Museum’s collections in order to tell the exciting story of an English cavalry regiment for the education and enjoyment of all people living and visiting Hampshire, regardless of age, background and ability, and of past and present members of the Regiment and their families.
To Apply Please Contact:
Please include details of availability and how you meet the skills required.