Please Note: We are currently not offering appointments to visit the Archive due to Covid-19, we hope to resume soon! We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. We are still able to conduct the research for you and welcome enquiries!
While we do hold various papers and books relating to the founding regiments of the King’s Royal Hussars, namely the 10th Royal Hussars (PWO), the 11th Hussars (PAO), the 14th King’s Hussars, the 20th Hussars, The Royal Hussars (PWO) and the 14th/20th King’s Hussars, we do not hold Records of Service for individuals. These are usually held at the following locations:
- Pre 1920 – National Archive, Kew, Surrey, TW9 4DU.
- Post 1920 – Army Personnel Centre, Historic Disclosures, Mailpoint 400, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX.
We do not have staff available full time to carry out research but if you wish to continue with your request for information from our archives, you have the following options:
We will undertake the research on your behalf as and when staff can be made available
You can visit us here in Winchester and do the work yourself having made an appointment.
Whichever option you choose there is a minimum charge of £30. Should you need extensive photocopying, or should the research by yourself take more than half a day, the charge will be greater. The £30 will cover a morning session in the archives (10.00 am to 12.00 noon) or an afternoon session (2.00 pm to 4.00 pm except Fridays when the period is 1.30 pm to 3.30 pm). Please bear in mind that the fee is still payable even if the research carried out on your behalf fails to reveal any information.
Sterling cheques are payable to ‘The King’s Royal Hussars Museum’.
If you wish to undertake the research yourself then please write or telephone to make an appointment to visit the archives (Monday to Friday only). When using the archives the following rules apply:
- Proof of Identity. UK Driving Licence, or Cheque Card or Credit Card issued in the UK, or full passport or national identity card.
- Writing material/notebooks. Only graphite (‘lead’) pencils and a notebook can be used in the archives.
- Coats, bags and valuables. Coats and bags must be left outside the archives.
- Payment for copies. If you require copies of documents (where permitted), a charge of 10 pence per copy is payable in cash only.
- Food and Drink. No food or drink is to be taken in to the archies.