This month’s highlight is a scout car of the 11th Hussars pictured on operations in northern Germany in 1945. The vehicle entered production in 1939 as the Car, Scout, Daimler, Mark 1 but it was commonly known as the Dingo. Various marks were produced and production of all marks amounted to 6,626 vehicles. From 1942 scout cars were also built under the Humber name and almost 4,300 were produced by the end of the war. The Daimler Dingo which was also manufactured in Canada was used until the mid 1950s both as a scout car and a command and liaison vehicle. It was replaced by the Ferret Scout Car which features on this page.
It had a crew of 2 and the driver’s seat was at an angle so the driver could see better over his shoulder whilst reversing.
It was 10ft 5in long and 5 ft 7in wide. It had a height of 4 ft 11in. It weighed 3 tonnes and its armour protection was 30 mm maximum. The six cylinder petrol engine produced 60 bhp and a top speed of 55 mph. It had a range of 200 miles.
It was armed with a single .303 in Bren light machine gun and later equipped with twin Vickers K guns, as shown in the picture.
The vehicle was extensively used in North Africa in WW2 and you can see an original Dingo in desert camouflage on display in the Museum.