HorsePower, The Museum of The King’s Royal Hussars
Volunteer Role Profile
Role Title: Front of House Assistant
HorsePower, The Museum of The King’s Royal Hussars tells the exciting story of this modern armoured regiment since its forebears were raised in 1715. The museum is fully accredited by Arts Council England and is one of six military museums within the historic Peninsula Barracks setting in Winchester. As part of our visitor experience and museum engagement we are looking for someone who can greet visitors on arrival and manage the small shop during opening hours. We are looking for an enthusiastic, personable and confident person keen to build experience in customer service and with the ideas and organisational skills to maximise the impact of the small on-site shop. This role would suit someone aspiring to work in museums or a heritage attraction, but needing more practical experience.
• Confident and self-motivated with the ability to work unsupervised.
• Ability to engage in a friendly and knowledgeable manner with all museum visitors
• Able to accurately account for cash transactions
• Enthusiastic about museums and collections.
• Able to take direction from the Museum staff.
• Attention to detail.
• Flexible approach.
This role can be undertaken anytime in the week during museum opening hours Tues–Sat, 10am–4pm. We are happy to adapt this role around other commitments, but this flexibility is understandably limited to opening hours.
This role is based in Peninsula Square (former barracks), Romsey Road, Winchester, SO23 8TS.
The skills you will gain
• Experience of working directly with the general public in a museum environment.
• Good understanding of the visitor experience.
• Knowledge through regular use of a cash till system.
• Knowledge of basic military history and working with an established museum and collection.
• Understanding of working to museum best practise standards.
HorsePower, The Museum of The King’s Royal Hussars Statement of Purpose To safeguard the Museum’s collections in order to tell the exciting story of an English cavalry regiment for the education and enjoyment of all people living and visiting Hampshire, regardless of age, background and ability, and of past and present members of the Regiment and their families.
To Apply Please Contact:
Please include details of availability and how you meet the skills required.