The Regimental Band of the 10th Royal Hussars (PWO)
Historical records show that the Tenth or Prince of Wales’s Own Regiment of Light Dragoons had a Regimental Band as early as 1786 but little is known of the Band during the 18th century. In the 1850s, the Band served with the Regiment in India at the time of the Indian Mutiny and then in Afghanistan. On the occasion of the Coronation Durbar in December 1911 when HM King George V visited India, trumpeters of Tenth Hussars, like those of other cavalry regiments, took part and were given permission to wear the royal livery.
When the Regiment moved to Bloemfontein, South Africa in 1913, the Band proved to be very popular with the public. The Band also accompanied the Regiment in India during the 1920s and 1930s.
During WW 2, the Band was disbanded for a time but after re-forming, it was one of the first bands to visit troops in France after D Day. Since then the Regimental Band served with the 10th Royal Hussars in West Germany during the Cold War, Tidworth Garrison in Hampshire and in the Middle East. It was in 1961 when the Regiment was serving again in West Germany that the last Drum Horse of the 10th Royal Hussars (PWO) paraded with the Regiment at Paderborn for the presentation of a new Guidon by the Colonel-in-Chief, HRH the Duke of Gloucester. When the Regiment returned to Tidworth to amalgamate with the 11th Hussars (PAO) in 1969 to form The Royal Hussars (PWO), the two Regimental Bands merged. The last Bandmaster of the 10th Royal Hussars (PWO), WO1 Mick Lane, became the first Bandmaster of The Royal Hussars (PWO).
The Regimental Quick March of the 10th Royal Hussars (PWO) was ‘The Merry Month of May’ and the Slow March was ‘Men of Harlech’. Lieutenant Colonel Valentine Baker, who commanded the 10th Royal Hussars (PWO) for 13 years from 1860 to 1873, started a tradition that the Regimental Band would play two hymns every evening after the sounding of Last Post. These were ‘As Pants the Hart’ and Trent’s ‘Chant No. 1’ and the Regimental Band continued the tradition of playing these hymns right up to the modern day.