After a further year in Iraq, the 14th/20th Hussars moved to Burg-el-Arab, near Alexandria.
After a further year in Iraq, the 14th/20th Hussars moved to Burg-el-Arab, near Alexandria, in October 1943. In January, Lieutenant Colonel ‘Freckles’ Tilney took command of the regiment, the second of four generations of Tilneys to serve in the 14th, the 14th/20th and The King’s Royal Hussars. In 1943 the 14th/20th re-equipped and trained in infantry/tank cooperation in Egypt and near Damascus, Syria. In March 1944 this training was cut short by orders to report back to Alexandria, a 700-mile (1125 Km) forced march, to put down a local disturbance.