The 14th/20th Hussars began to mechanise in 1938.
In January 1938, the 14th/20th Hussars went out on manoeuvres on horseback in India for the last time. In August, the Regiment bade farewell to its horses in a mounted parade at Lucknow, India, and in November a training team from the Royal Tank Corps arrived with Vickers tanks to train the regiment.
On 31st March 1939, the 14th/20th were officially converted to a mechanised regiment and became part of the newly-formed Royal Armoured Corps. When war against Germany was declared on 3rd September, the 14th/20th Hussars were in Meerut, India as a mechanised regiment with Vickers light tanks.