The 23rd Light Dragoons and 26th Light Dragoons were raised, renumbered and disbanded as and when the Army needed more regiments.
The 23rd Light Dragoons were raised in 1781 by Sir John Burgoyne at Bedford and in 1786 they were renumbered the 19th Light Dragoons. The 23rd Light Dragoons were raised again in 1794 by Colonel William Fullerton but disbanded in 1802. The 26th Light Dragoons were raised in 1795. In 1803 the 26th Light Dragoons were redesignated the 23rd Light Dragoons, and served in Spain, carrying out a gallant but disastrous charge at the Battle of Talavera from 27th to 28th July 1809. The 23rd Light Dragoons subsequently fought at the Battle of Waterloo on 18th June 1815, and on 24th November 1817 they were disbanded. They were awarded the battle honours of ‘Talavera, Peninsula, Egypt and Waterloo’.