In May 1805 The Left Wing of the 20th Light Dragoons was ordered to Cape Town to assist in putting down Napoleon’s Dutch allies in South Africa.

The convoy sailed via Salvador in Brazil to procure horses, before continuing to  Cape Town.  On arrival in January 1806 they found the surrender of the Dutch already under way. The Cape of Good Hope was now a British colony.