The 14th/20th Hussars returned to UK to become the Royal Armoured Corps Training Regiment in Catterick, Yorkshire.
In November 1947 the 14th/20th Hussars returned to UK for the first time since they had left for Egypt and India in 1931. They moved to Catterick in Yorkshire to become the Royal Armoured Corps Training Regiment. Although the Army quarters in Germany were better than those in UK (a comparison which still stands valid today), food and fuel were no less scarce. Life was hard in postwar Britain, and the winter of 1947 was the coldest on record. The 14th/20th remained in Catterick for 3 years during which time it trained 1,732 regular recruits, 6,167 National Servicemen and 276 potential officers. In 1948, the Regimental Band emerged from its wartime duties as Mortar Troop.