After the Indian Mutiny the Army in India was reorganised and the 20th Light Dragoons were raised again.
In August 1858, as a result of the Mutiny, the rule of India was transferred from The East India Company to the British Crown. The Company’s armed forces were also taken over by the Crown. On 2nd May 1861, 250 volunteers from the 2nd Bengal European Light Cavalry joined the 20th Light Dragoons which had been raised again after 40 years. A few months later, they were redesignated 20th Hussars – still without a Patron.