The 14th/20th Hussars and Lancashire forge close links as the county becomes the regiment’s main recruiting base.
In 1957, the British Government began to wind down National Service. The 14th/20th Hussars needed to recruit 540 regular recruits to fill the manpower gap caused by the end of conscription. The regiment was allocated Lancashire as its Recruiting Area and found it a rich source of recruits. The call of “The Cavalry Regiment of Lancashire” began to bring in recruits at the rate of some 17 a month. Thus the regiment’s links with Lancashire began to grow and have remained deep-rooted since those days. In 1962, the first Regimental Home Headquarters was established in Preston, Lancashire. It was a happy coincidence that the Regiment (as Dormer’s Dragoons) had fought their first battle in Preston in 1715.